Replacing your transmission can be a costly repair. But there are things you can do to help prevent needing to replace your transmission. By following some simple and easy-to-do transmission maintenance tips, you will be helping your car and transmission function properly and last a lot longer than it would without the regular transmission maintenance. Below are our top five transmission maintenance tips that we recommend for all automatic transmissions.
- Fluids – It is vital that you only put the transmission fluid in your car that is recommended for your vehicle type. It is also important to regularly check your fluid levels to ensure that they are where they need to be. If your fluids are able to get too low, then serious damage can occur to your transmission.
- Cooling System – It is important to have your cooling system serviced on a regular basis. Having this done by a transmission expert will help to keep your cooling system operating correctly and will aid in a well working transmission.
- Cold car- If your car has become cold due to weather, then we recommend that you allow your vehicle to warm up before you drive it.
- Spare Tire – If you have to drive on a spare tire, make sure that it is for a short distance. Driving on a spare tire for too long can lead to transmission issues.
- Changing Gears – Be sure to come to a complete stop before changing gears.
We hope that these transmission maintenance tips will help you to keep your transmission working great and without incidence. If you find yourself needing transmission repair, then give us a call at Lindsay Tire Automotive & Accessories. We are happy to help you in any way that we can.